UNIT 4: Management and Operations
Unit code: D/508/0488
Unit type: Core
Unit 2: level 4
Value: 15 Credits
The aim of this unit is to help students understand the difference between the function of a manager and the role of a leader. Students will consider the characteristics, behaviours and traits which support effective management and leadership. In addition, this unit will introduce the concept of operations as both a function and a process which all organisations must adopt to conduct business. Students will be introduced to contemporary and historical theories and concepts which will support their learning for this unit.
On the successful completion of this unit, students will have developed sufficient knowledge and understanding of how management and operations make a positive, efficient, and effective contribution to an organisation at a junior level. This could be in the role of a team leader or managing a specific aspect of an operation function and/or process.
Underpinning all aspects of the content for this unit you will consider topics under two broad headings: management and operations.
Learning Outcomes By the end of this unit a student will be able to:
- Differentiate between the role of a leader and the function of a manager.
- 2 Apply the role of a leader and the function of a manager in given contexts.
- 3 Demonstrate an appreciation of the role leaders and managers play in the
- Operations function of an organization.
- 4 Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between leadership and
- Management in a contemporary business environment.